Poison test for quality inspectors in manufacturing industry
What is a Poison Test:
Poison test is process of checking the competence of quality inspectors. It is done by providing a small mixed lot of OK and defective parts for inspection within defined takt time. It is a periodical practical process of taking test of inspectors. Poison test should be taken of all inspectors with all types of defects.
Poison Test Work Instruction:
Below are the steps to conduct a poison test:
- First of all mix OK and Defect part according to Poison test sheet. (Take OK part at least 50 and defect part take 10%). Before mixing, mark the defective parts such as not visible to inspector.
- Then give the bin to the final inspector to check.
- Give inspector the specific time ( Takt time ) to check the parts.
- Recheck inspector checked part and keep OK and defective part separately.
- Check all the defective parts of Final Inspector with your noted paper.
- If the final inspector separates the parts with defect marking, then he is working properly and he is fully aware of his work.
- If the final inspector is not able to separate the marked parts, then he does not have full knowledge of his work. Stop inspection by that inspector until he qualify in poison test.
- Hold the previously checked parts by the inspector and recheck those parts by any qualified inspector.
- Then provide him training for all the defects of that part.
- Again take his test so that he can do his work correctly & completely.
Poison Test Benefits:
- Reduction in customer complaints
- Reduction in in house complaints
- Improvement in inspector skill level
- Improved customer satisfaction
- Reduction in Cost of poor quality as defects captured at in house.
- Multi skilled inspector
- Improved confidence in inspection activity
- Final inspectors productivity improve
Key requirements for poison test:
- Actual poison test should be done & not prepare fake report
- All defects should be covered in poison test
- Frequency of poison test should be adequate. For new inspector, it should be more.
Poison Test Format:
Download the Poison Test Format: