How to manage 4M change in the automotive industry?
Purpose of 4M change:
To record 4M Change (Operator change, machine change, tool change) management for expected change ( new operator, operator on leave, machine/tool PM, New machine, new gauge & new instrument) and unexpected changes (Tool breakage, power failure, machine breakdown etc.)
Scope of 4M change:
Applicable for all internal changes in process & brought out parts (BOP)
Responsibility of 4M Change:
1. Change Point Control Board: Supervisor on a daily basis
2. Change Approval: Plant Head / Quality Head on a daily basis
Plan Change (Expected Change):
Change that occurs with prior information to the concerned person and defined action is taken to control the occurrence of non-conformity of product at the change point.
Example of Plan change :
- Machine under Plan Maintenance
- Tool under Plan Maintenance
- New operator employed on machine
- Operator working after long leave
- New instrument used
- New machine used
Unplan Change (Unexpected Change):
Change that occurs without prior information to the concerned person and sudden defined action is required to control the occurrence of non-conformity of product at the change point.
Example of Unplan change :
- Machine under Breakdown
- Tool / Die under Breakdown
- Tool breakage
- Power Failure
- Different grade material used
- Unapproved material source used
If any changes are done in Man, Machine, Material or Method related to process happens, the change shall be immediately updated on the 4’M change monitoring board & recorded in 4’M Change Tracking Sheet.
- The respective team inform to 4’M change responsible person about any kind of changes in man, material, method and machine which happen in his area.
- The change details of Man, Material, Method, and Machine are to be highlighted on 4’M change control board.
- Identify man change as per man- machine matrix.
- The 4’M change the responsible person shall update the 4’M change tracking sheet within 30 minutes and take suitable action as per 4’M WI.
- If No change is there, 4’M change responsible person shall fill 4’M tracking sheet with green color and if there is a change he shall fill it with red color.
- In case of any change, information to be given to concerned departments and control action to be taken as per the below documents.
Benefits of 4M change recording:
- Easy to trace defect at supplier end.
- In the situation of recall at OEM, it also help to detect the defective products.
- It provide confidence to OEM and Tear1 company when it get 4M change records timely from its supplier.
- Reduction in rejection, rework.
More information about 4M change management : MACE
WI FOR 4M CHANGE:
WI FOR MAN CHANGE :
WI FOR MACHINE / TOOL CHANGE :
WI FOR MATERIAL & METHOD CHANGE :
4M CHANGE TRACKING SHEET:
In the Tracking sheet, we prepare a summary of all the changes in the process & their detail. It contains date of change starts, Type of change, changes in the description, What action was taken during change, Machine or tool detail, Part name, Retroactive record, Containment record & dispatch detail etc.
4M CHANGE CONTROL BOARD:
In the 4M change control board, we update all the changes in the process & their detail within 30 minutes of change. It contains the date & time of change starts, Type of change, changes in the description, What action was taken during change, Machine or tool detail, Part name, Retroactive check record, Containment record & dispatch detail etc.
MAN-MACHINE MATRIX :
It is the matrix of operator and process (machine). By this matrix, the supervisor can easily find out which operator is capable for which process to operate the machine. It is also called skill matrix.
What is Retroactive Inspection in 4M change?
It is to check the suspected parts which are made before any unplanned change or any abnormal change happen. The record of retroactive inspection is maintained in the below format. In this format we record the total inspection quantity, OK quantity, Rejected and rework quantities. Also maintain records of sample quantity as per decided in 4M change WI.
4M CHANGE APPROVAL REPORT:
It is the Approval of the process when any process is restarted after any change happened and inspecting the sample pieces for approval. Approval should be taken from Quality Head, Plant Head or customer.
You may like :