How to manage initial supply control during SOP after NPD?
Purpose of initial supply control
Special control needs to be exercised during the initial phase of mass production when one of the above items occurs with the purpose of collecting sufficient data to judge whether the mass production can be continued using the existing process. So this is the purpose of initial supply control. It is also called initial production control.
- Purpose of initial supply control
- Responsible for Initial Supply Control
- Initial Part:
- The flow of the Initial Part:
- Handling of Initial Part:
- Initial Supply Control:
- Initial Supply Control Scope / Category :
- Period of Initial Supply Control:-
- Establishment of Initial Flow Control: Special activities:-
- Information about Initial Supply Control :
- Termination Criteria:
This procedure applies to all groups of new development products manufactured by the organization and any ECN change raised by the customer.
This procedure is also applicable for the new BOP part /change part at the supplier end also.
Responsible for Initial Supply Control
Development Head is responsible for initiating and termination of the initial supply control activities.
Part produced during Trials, T0, T1 & Pilot lots of new product development, ECN, Process change ( PCN ) or any major change in tool/die is called the initial part.
The flow of the Initial Part:
- Order receipt from customer
- Tool trial
- Production trial
- Mass production trial
- SOP at the customer end
- ECN receipt (if generate)
- Process change note (if generate)
- SOP after a process change
- Initial Part
Handling of Initial Part:
Initial products handle with extra care during the manufacturing process :
- Display identification tag on initial product manufacturing machine.
- Put the initial part in the green color bin for the Initial Part.
- Put an identification tag on the initial part
- Prepare a report for the initial product
- Put the initial part in Lock & Key & keep only updated or recently produced parts and scrap the old parts.
- Send the initial part to the customer with an identification tag (IPP tag)
- Maintain initial part production record
Initial Supply Control:
Initial Supply control is a process of monitoring & additional control in the process by taking precautionary & preventive actions during the initial period of mass production of a new or changed part for a defined duration.
Initial Supply Control Scope / Category :
- The new part is manufactured – New Product
- Similar to other parts manufactured – New Product
- Existing part change as per specification change required by the customer – ECN (raise)
- Start manufacturing after a long lay-off (12 months) – Process Change
- R/M, Product design/process/Tool/ Die/ Machine/ Equipment change/minor change -New Product/ECN/Process Change.
- Layout Change – Process Change
- Relocated Plant – Process Change
- Supplier / Sub supplier Change – Process Change
- High volume increase
Period of Initial Supply Control:-
3 Months / 5000 pcs whichever is later for the new part.
1 Month / 1600 pcs whichever is later for design and process change.
Establishment of Initial Flow Control: Special activities:-
The following activities related to the part (for which initial flow control is being observed) shall be carried out during this period:
- In case of customer issue/complaint, 100% inspection to be done for each lot qty.
- Special inspection / Process controls that are higher than normal controls. These could be either added inspection points or inspections at higher frequencies.
- Process Capability check. It shall be carried out on special characteristics as decided by SQA or defined by the customer once a month
- Conduct MSA once a month
- Conduct Process Audit with a control plan per month during initial supply control, the first audit should be the very first day during ISC and the second audit in the mid and close all NC’s within three days.
- During the ISC period if any defect is observed conduct an analysis on the PDCA sheet
Information about Initial Supply Control :
For this Initial Supply Information Sheet is used. By this sheet, Information is provided to all the concerned persons about the start of initial supply control of the specific part. Also mention the tentative end date of the initial supply. Special control needs to be taken during initial supply control. Information can be given through any special format, any MOM or mail to all departments.
- Customer complaints should be zero.
- Customer rejection ppm should be zero.
- In-house rejection ppm should be less than the company’s overall in-house rejection ppm. We can decide it is half of the current ppm.
- Incoming rejection should be zero.
- Process capability index (Cpk) should be more than 1.33
- Gauge R & R should be less than 10.
- Defect Rate monitoring for critical non-measurable defects
- Meeting the above target for continuous three months and the result should have an improving trend. If not meeting the above target, the initial supply control period shall be extended till the time all criteria will meet.
- Action to be taken in case of targets are not met.
- Action plan to improve Cpk and reduce defect rate in case of not meeting the target.
are you on you tube, if yes please share your channel name
if no, then please start and share your knowledge on that platform also.
valuable information 🙂
Thanks for your valuable feedback. I will consider it asap.
Thanks for your feedback.
Sir,mam can you explain the process capability index with format.
Process capability index and format :https://learnqctools.in/statistical-process-control
Can someone please tell me the difference between SOP Date vs ISC
SOP Date is the Start of Production date after Pilot lot supply & approval. So it is the start date of the Initial supply control. But Initial supply control is a period for a duration of 1 month to 3 months or quantity base.