How to do Red Bin Analysis?
What is Red Bin Analysis?
Red bin analysis is to segregate and verify the defects occurring on production lines including inspection lines on a daily basis. Then understand the defects & do root cause analysis and take countermeasures as early as possible. It is very important to prevent the recurrence of defects and control the defects at their early stage.
Purpose of Rejection Analysis:
If we do not do red bin meetings (analysis) on daily basis, it will be very difficult for us to identify where to take action. There will be a high chance of defects can be bypassed to the customer end. Also rejection costs will increase if we do not do red bin meetings on daily basis. Thus increasing the Cost of poor quality (COPQ). So it is very important to do red bin meeting on daily basis & take action accordingly.
Steps of Red Bin Analysis in Quality Control :
- Put all defective parts in the red bin when detected.
- Do red marking on the defective parts for defects.
- Red Bin should be placed near to operators in the shop.
- Put an identification tag on defective parts
- Identification tag should have information like Part name/ part number,quantity,date,shift,machine number,shop & reason of rejection etc.
- Make a CFT for the Red bin meeting with the leader.
- Make designated area for red bin meeting.
- Also decide the specified time for the red bin meeting.
- Also make an attendance record of the meeting.
- Carefully verify the defective parts during the red bin meeting.
- Involve operators while identifying the causes of the defect.
- Do brainstorming to identify potential causes
- Also verify the defect by visiting a place of occurrence.Follow 3G rule.
- After do why why analysis with the team to find out the root cause.
- Then take countermeasure action as per actual root cause.
- Do effectiveness monitoring of the action taken.
Countermeasure Action :
Make a monthly summary of the red bin record. Do Pareto analysis defect-wise and then part-wise.Take action on top defects as per pareto chart for each section / shop. It can be top 2 or 3 defects. Also decide min qty for daily analysis. It can be 5 or 10 as per requirement. Countermeasure action should be implemented and results should be verified at least once in a month. The countermeasure should be recorded in the red bin defect tracking sheet so that the trend can be monitored in relation to the countermeasure action taken.
Standardization & Horizontal Application :
After implementation of countermeasure update the relevant documents & get them approved. Provide training to the concerned person. Also horizontally implement the action on a similar process or part. Also update the relevant document of a similar part or process.
Red Bin Analysis Sheet :
In red bin analysis sheet, we do recording of rejection on daily basis. After recording and analysis in this sheet, move all rejection to scrap area from all the red bins. Responsible person should take action accordingly within time period defined. Below details should be entered in red bin analysis sheet.
- Part description ( Part name / number)
- Rejection Qty ( Rework Qty can be added)
- Reason of rejection ( Mode )
- Root cause ( Brainstorming and why why analysis )
- Action Plan
- Target date / Actual date (Status)
Red Bin Meeting Attendance Sheet :
In this sheet attendance is marked of all the CFT member on daily basis while doing red bin meeting. All member with leader should present in red bin meeting effectively.